Log in

Log in

Frequently Asked Questions

Questions fréquemment posées

  • How do I join CACFT?

Please read the information on our ‘Membership Explained’ webpage. After reading that page and reviewing the membership applications under the‘ Membership’ tab on, please email the CAMFT office if you have questions. 

  • If I am a member of AAMFT and want to join CACFT do I need to complete an application? 

You may be able to be grand-parented into CACFT in an equivalent member category. You can find an application on this link under the "Membership" tab. 

  • I am a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) in the United States. How do I join CACFT?   
As an LMFT you are welcome to join CACFT in the Registered Marriage and Family Therapist (RMFT) member category. You can find an application on this link under the "Membership" tab. 
  • Who can use the RMFT designation? 

Only CACFT members in the Registered Marriage and Family Therapist member category are able to use the RMFT designation.

  • I am a Couple/Marriage and Family Therapist (C/MFT) in another country and I am considering moving to Canada. What do I need to know? 

Regulation of C/MFT practice is a provincial responsibility and varies widely from province to province. You can find information about regulation in different provinces here

CACFT is not a regulatory body; our focus is on supporting our members in their training and in their practice. Our RMFT designation sets a high standard, but is not actually required for practice. 

  • If a therapist in the United States has a client that is temporarily or permanently moving to Canada, may the therapist provide therapy to them using a safe virtual platform?

You must find out what the rules are in the state you practice in. You must also find out what the rules are in the province your client is going to be in. If C/MFTs are regulated in the province your client is in you must contact the regulatory college. 

  • Where in Canada are C/MFTs regulated? 

Regulation varies widely across Canada. You can find information about the provinces here.  

If you are working in a province that is regulated you must join the regulatory body unless you already belong to a regulatory body. eg RSW, nurses.

    Contact the CACFT:

    (416) 907-4620

    [email protected]


    P.O. Box 1064

    Tottenham, ON.

    L0G 1W0

    Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software